Thursday, December 22, 2011

My Two Favourite Books For 2011

I read a lot and I've loved most of the books I've read this year, but two stand out above the others.

The first is Aminatta Forna's The Memory of Love. It was such a touching gentle way to tell the brutal story of the war in Sierra Leone.



I loved the way the author wove together the four story lines. It is sad but somehow not hopeless. Such an excellent read, it still lives actively in my mind though I read it months ago.

The other book that had a profound effect on me this year was Binyavanga Wainaina's One Day I Will Write About This Place. It is the coming of age story of a middle class boy in Kenya, a special boy who reads with an insatiable hunger and will one day go on to win the Caine Prize.

I read very little non-fiction but I can recommend this book unreservedly to everyone. The writing cracks with electricity. It is hilarious and touching. The chapter about his mother's death, written like an obituary, had me weeping so hard I had to change my shirt. You'll not have met a book like this before, I can assure you. Buy this book, come back and thank me later after you've read it.

I read everything, books from everywhere, and I'm quite pleased to find that my two favourites, the ones that stand out from all of the others, are both African stories by African writers. That makes me very happy.

7 comments:

Kinna said...

I'm yet to read Wainaina's book but I agree completely with your assessment of The Memory of Love. Enjoy the holidays. I wish you all the success, creatively and otherwise, in the coming year.

Lauri said...

I loved Memory of Love, Kinna. But you must give One Day I Will Write About This Place a read. It's lovely in so many ways. Let me know if you do, I'd like to hear what you think.

Lauri said...

Oh and thanks for you well wishes. Hope you have a lovely 2012 too!

Judy Croome | @judy_croome said...

Sigh. Two more books to add to my teetering and tottering TBR pile. THE MEMORY OF LOVE sounds particularly good (although from what you say I'll only read in a day when I'm feeling strong!)

Love the new look on your blog BTW! Is the background artwork something you've painted?

Judy, South Africa

Lauri said...

No, Judy, this is a photo in the list on the design page. I thought my blog needed a bit of a remake. I've hardly changed it since I started the blog. Glad you like it. :)

Wendy said...

They sound wonderful, Lauri. I'll have to look for them.

World Famous said...

These books are seems very interesting.... you can read another one here Exam Sheets