Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Using Cellphones to Get Kids Reading!

In Botswana and Southern Africa in general books are expensive. And like everywhere kids are not reading as much as they used to and this is impacting on their education. In Africa cellphones have taken off like mad. It's difficult to find a teenager without a cellphone. A trust in South Africa decided to use cellphones to solve the problem of teens not reading.

The organisation is called FunDza Literacy Trust. One of the many exciting things they do is to serialise short (3500-4200 word) stories (popular fiction such as romance and mystery) and send them out on their cellphone network for kids to read. They have a website where kids can comment and discuss the stories. I think it is such an exciting idea and was over the moon when I was asked if I might want to write a story for them. The answer was, of course, YES!

Here is my story, "Love and Science Don't Mix" and here is a short interview they did with me. Let me know what you think about the idea.

3 comments:

Joyful said...

I LOVE the idea. It's great to use modern technology to solve age old problems. I will come back and read your piece when I have a bit more time. Have a wonderful week!

Nelson Souzza said...

Hello! My first visit, will visit you again. Seriously, I thoroughly enjoyed your posts. Congrats for your work. If you wish to follow back that would be great I'm at http://nelsonsouzza.blogspot.com
Thanks for sharing!

Joyful said...

I came back to read your story and interview. I enjoyed the short story and I think it is well written for your target audience. I also enjoyed your interview. I think it's great that you give advice and encouragement to other writers.