Monday, January 6, 2014

My 2014 Ahead

A new year is always so motivating for me. I feel as if I get a new life. This year is special to me as it's my fiftieth, I think that's a milestone in itself as my people are not the long living type.

So what do I hope for this year?

I'm crossing fingers I find an agent for If Not For This. I'd love to see the book get a wide audience. The publishing date for The Vanishings has been pushed back. It will likely come out in March now. I'm hoping that book will be widely read as well.

I'm really trying to be happy for how far I've come this year, that's my theme for the year anyway. To be grateful for where I am, not my usual self of looking for the next challenge and feeling frustrated I haven't accomplished it yet.

One thing I'm quite excited about is that I'm going to be one of the mentors for a new PanAfrican writing project Writivism.  I looking forward to that. I can't wait to see who I'll be mentoring.

I've started a new young adult book I'm quite excited about. It deals with mental illness and the unfortunate abuse of the mentally ill by the pharmaceutical industry.

In Botswana, it's an election year. We've started the year with good rains and tractors are busy all around my office. There is a hopeful scent in the air.

And your 2014? Are you looking forward to this year as much as I am?
My hope is that you are.



2 comments:

karen said...

Hi Lauri
I'm trying to catch up on your blog for the whole year!! So good to see that you are still blogging, to hear that you are feeling better after the very painful few months you have been through...

I'm also very excited to note that you have now published 'Signed, The Secret Keeper' - I am so looking forward to reading more of Amo's exploits, as I did become very fond of her!! How and where is the easiest way to buy a copy? (I would hate to ask you to post one, after reading your Post Office story with many a knowing smile). However I'm sure you don't keep stocks of books for sale,yourself, so please let me know where I can find one - I've tried Amazon but I don't see it there yet..

Wishing you and the family all the very best for a wonderful and positive 2014!

Lauri said...

Hi Karen - How are you??? Hope the new year is finding you and your family well.

Signed, The Secret Keeper is published by Diamond in Gabs. This is their first time to publish fiction (they've only been doing junior secondary textbooks) and they're slowly learning how things are done. At the moment I don't think it is that widely distributed. I'll let you know as soon as the ball gets rolling.