Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Interesting Skunk Fact

Did you know that a skunk fighting for its life sounds exactly like an alien? Especially when the skunk is fighting for its life at 4 am. I suppose unless you have proper equipment, sound is relative, and in actual fact I’ve never heard an alien, but I can assure you, at the very least, a skunk fighting for its life at 4 am sounds like what I believe an alien sounds like AND if you hear that noise at that time of the morning you will not easily forget it.


We are moved back to Mahalapye and this morning Chelsea and the African Sausage Dog decided to start the day early with that timeless game- “Kill a Skunk in 107 Easy Steps”. I’d almost recovered after four days of moving and unpacking and thought I’d wake up refreshed and get back to work, apparently the dogs had other plans. I would have stopped the whole thing and saved the skunk, but as mentioned above in the pitch darkness of 4 am I assumed, as all sane people would, that the dogs were killing an alien. I’m as brave as the next person but I know aliens have special weapons and everything and I knew I wouldn’t stand a chance. Thinking back now, it’s strange I didn’t wonder how the dogs were holding their own against the extraterrestrial monster and his high-tech weaponry- never mind- that is neither here nor there. The point of all of this is 1) I got woken up at an ungodly hour and 2) skunks are scary sounding and damn tough.


So I am moved. I have a new work space which I already love though no work has yet to commence there. To show you how committed I am (or cheap) I had paid for the Writers Weekly 24 hour Contest some time ago not knowing that the contest would take place on the same Saturday that I had to move 3892 boxes of junk I really don’t think I should be owning. Nevertheless, I got the topic Saturday night, slept on it, and woke up Sunday morning (before going back for yet another pile of junk) and wrote my entry. Okay, it is not very good and has a fatal mistake- one character responds to a nod that is pivotal to the plot that never actually happened (it happened in my head, but it seems I forgot to transfer that information to the page)- BUT I did write something. I was quite proud of my stick-to-it-ness, sort of like that skunk/alien I guess.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have never seen a real skunk, let alone encountered one in full alien mode. That sounds very creepy. Great story!