Friday, September 3, 2010

Growing Up in Africa

I happened upon this blog thanks to Deborah Ahenkorah from the Baobab Prize.

It is a series from Africans around the continent about their childhood. Africa as seen through non-African eyes is often all about sadness- starvation, poverty, disease. But that's not Africa, or at least that is just a slice of Africa. Africa is about family. It's about friends and culture and rich languages. Food and school. It's about kids not getting their parents and then growing up and suddenly understanding. It's about values and standards. It's about love and sadness. It's multidimensional and fascinating.

I love love love this blog! It is just what we need. Do yourself a favour and pass by.

5 comments:

Val said...

thanks - i will go and look there. it sounds great!

CA Heaven said...

I will jump over to take a look >:)

Cold As Heaven

Lyn said...

thanks Laurie. I think it is important for the non-African world to have a window into perspectives from people within the continent. I agree with your comments about the multi dimensional textures of life in Africa. The images that we in the west see seem to focus heavily on tragedy and when I visited Kenya this summer and witnessed the richness of family life and the warmth and hospitality of the people and I realized my view had been skewed.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Lauri, for the shout-out! I've been having fun putting together this series.

karen said...

I have just had a look - what a great blog!