Thursday, December 10, 2009

My Secret is Out!

Some months ago I had a pile of good luck and mixed in there was a secret. Well now the secret has been let out of the bag. (Click here for other finalists) My children's book, Aunt Lulu, is a finalist in the 2009 Sanlam Prize for Youth Literature. This year's theme was humour which makes it even more important to me.

When I first started writing about six years ago I thought I would be the Motswana version of Sue Townsend and create hilarious characters like Adrian Mole. I promptly wrote two, what I thought were hilarious novels. Both have had so many rejections they can barely hobble back to their bottom drawer. I gave up my dream and became quite serious. But now my hope is that Aunt Lulu might pull my dream from the ashes. (hope hope)

Aunt Lulu is about Amo, who dreams of becoming a famous journalist one day but has, to her horror, been assigned the agony aunt (Aunt Lulu) column for the school newspaper. This leads to a series of unfortunate events leading her to decide if it might not be time to drop out of school and sell fat cakes for a living. Amo lives with her Gran. Nono is Amo's best friend and she has plans to become the first Motswana astronaut. Here is a small bit from the book.

Gran knowing that I was to be Aunt Lulu for the school newspaper would have been a disaster. Anything even smelling of a waste of time got Gran seriously wound up. “Idle hands are the Devil’s playground.” The Devil played a big role in Gran’s life; actually the avoidance of all things devilish played a big role in Gran’s life.

Many things reeked of the Devil. Long unplaited hair, gardens not cleared and swept tidily, people who spoke badly about Sir Seretse Khama, most television shows, Miriam Makeba, food from tins, anything associated with airplanes, maize meal in paper bags,…. actually the list was endless and ever growing and surprisingly fluid.

You would think God and the Devil would have long ago divided up stuff. Like God got hardworking, the Devil got lazy. God got books, the Devil got comic books. Like that. I would have thought the lists were sorted out. But if you kept track of what was godly and what was the work of the Devil, according to Gran, you might very well become confused. The lists shifted a lot. But a piece of advice- don’t point it out to Gran. First she will deny it. And then she’ll be annoyed at you for the rest of the day. For example, since she liked Nono (“Comes from a good Sekgatla family”) all things to do with airplanes remained the Devil’s work, but somehow going up in the heavens in a spaceship was strictly out of Satane’s realm. I suspect the Devil list was conveniently pulled out whenever my life was to be judged....

The prize giving is in March -so wish me and Aunt Lulu luck!!!

16 comments:

Vanessa Gebbie said...

How lovely, many congrats and fingers tightly crossed until march.

Lyn said...

Laurie - such good news - congratulations. I hope this resurrects your dream and that you continue a streak of good fortune in the year to come!

Val said...

fabulous Lauri and i really enjoyed this excerpt. I will be holding thumbs for you truly - no more secrets ok?

Elspeth Futcher said...

What wonderful news! Best of luck to you. Just remember "It's an honour just to be nominated..." (such a lie!)

Elspeth

bonita said...

It's so cold here I can't cross my fingers...will crossing toes do?
Best to you and Tante Lulu.

T. Powell Coltrin said...

I am so proud of you. Keep your dream alive. I am so excited I have goosebumps on my arms. YAY!

daoine said...

Excellent news! Congratulations!

Helen Ginger said...

Good luck! And goooo, Aunt Lulu. Seriously, congrats and good luck.

Helen
Straight From Hel

Lauri said...

Thanks guys I'm sure all of those finger crossings and toe crossings are going to put me right in the winner's circle. In a way it is a big deal in this case to be a finalist as the English section is quite competitive. But your right Elspeth, the minute the winner is announced you go back to being a schlep.

Anonymous said...

You're already a winner in my eyes, but I'll keep everything crossed anyway. Good on you!

karen said...

Congrats Lauri, and I'll be one of those holding thumbs for you in March!!

Tania Hershman said...

Brilliant! huge congratulations, it's wonderful that there is a focus on humour, so much these days is dour and depressing. Yay!

Sue Guiney said...

How absolutely fantastic! Huge congrats and fingers crossed! xo

Elizabeth Bradley said...

I'm so thrilled for you. Great excerpt, left me wanting more.

Anonymous said...

You have a interesting blog

Gutsy Living said...

I am so happy for you being a 2009 finalist. I found your writing intriguing and so will all the children who read your story. Congratulations.