Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Egyptian Towel Art

Two of my colleagues here at the writers' residency live upstairs and have the same man who cleans their room. Two days ago our Italian colleague came home from our first day of orientation and found a magnificent peacock made of towels and flowers on her bed. It was astounding and such a lovely surprise.

Yesterday she had an entire swan family and her neighbour had a lotus flower. Her neighbour actually saw him making the lotus flower ( an amazing thing in itself apparently) and she asked him about it. He told her they learn to make the sculptures in their training.

I thought you'd like to see the scuptures, they really are works of art.




12 comments:

Sue Guiney said...

Ok. I give up. The envy is overwhelming me. What an experience you're having!!!!!

Lauri said...

Sue did you apply? You must if you haven't! I have to say though we have a fantastic group of women writers and that is SO adding to my experience.

Unknown said...

Lauri you can compile a lovely article for SA travel mags!! Enjoy! P Nhlapo

Not Hannah said...

Whoa! The lotus flower makes my brain twist. That's just craziness!

Val said...

jeepers!!!

Elspeth Futcher said...

I can make a towel-chicken. It's true. I've found it to be a highly marketable skill. *snort*

funsocksgirl said...

My girlies saw your fabulous towels and both exclaimed, "NO FAIR!! WE WANNA GO TO EGYPT!!" ;)

(from Groovy at Funsocksgirl's computer in NY)

Anonymous said...

Those towels are amazing. I would be too afraid to use them. I feel like I am on holiday with you. This is so much fun!

Unknown said...

Selma- He gives them other towels for use but if you don't use them he takes them away the next day.

daoine said...

Awesome! I'm just loving sharing this trip with you with these updates. What an experience.

Joyful said...

Wow! That towel art is simply amazing.

dancilhoney said...

Wow! you are so creative and talented. I know that egyptian cotton towels Once ironed they are lovely. If I was purchasing more towels, I'd look elsewhere first.