Today is an historic day. An African will be sworn in as president of the United States. A dream translates into reality and a lesson should be learned by all of us- dream big. And too, the horrible, brain-killing, evil-coveting, greedy Bush-baby administration will be no more.
Today Thoughts from Botswana, since I barter in words, has decided to pull out some of the soon to be former administration’s own words for a last minute laugh at their expense. Here goes-
• Bush, 16 April, 2008 speaking to Pope Bendict XVI- “Thank you, Your Holiness. Awesome speech.”
• Cheney, 4 June, 2003-“Except for the occasional heart attack, I’ve never felt better.”
• Bush, 20 September, 2005- “We look forward to hearing your vision, so we can more better do our job.”
• Cheney to Senator Patrick Leahy during a debate in the Senate about Halliburton’s role in the wars, June 25, 2004-"Go f*ck yourself."
• Bush, 6 September, 2004- “Too many OB/GYNs aren’t able to practice their love with women all across this country.”
• Cheney responding to queries about his five draft deferments- "I had other priorities in the sixties than military service."
• Cheney’s response when an ABC correspondent told him that most Americans believe that the war in Iraq is not worth fighting- “So?”
• Bush, 5 August, 2004- “Our enemies are innovative and resourceful and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.”
And what has been the effect on the American people thanks to all of this wisdom? This is best exemplified by teen beauty queen, Lauren Caitlin, when asked why she thought a fifth of Americans couldn’t locate the United States on a world map.
"I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because, um, some people out there in our nation don't have maps and, uh, I believe that our, uh, education like such as, uh, South Africa and, uh, the Iraq and everywhere like such as, and I believe that they should, uh, our education over here in the U.S. should help the U.S., uh, should help South Africa and should help Iraq and the Asian countries, so we will be able to build up our future."
Lord have mercy. The future can only be better.... right?